Saturday, February 18, 2012

Getting away from newborn for one night?

How early is too early to leave your baby with your parents so you can get much needed alone time? I'm 19, I have a two year old daughter and my son was born eight days ago. Love them both to pieces, but the last eight days have been full of taking care of babies with very little time for myself. I'm not having any fun, and I feel like I'm going crazy. Would it be horrible to let my parents take the kids for a night so I can sleep and shower and eat and go five minutes without having to remind the two year old that biting is NOT nice? What if I wanted to add in a little time to catch up with friends?|||8 days old is too young for me. I do not personally breastfeed so I'm very aware of getting some good bonding time in with my child and it's especially important to do that in the very early days. If it were me, I'd hunker down for the first month or two before handing little one over for the entire night. BUT it would be a good idea to take a small few hour breather. I think my baby girl was only a few weeks when my girlfriend had to come over and watch her for about 5 hours when I passed out from exhaustion (had been doing all nighters all week!!!). I got my sanity back after that day, so it is important to have small breaks where you re-coop. So maybe start small and work up to a big all night stay over. Your friends should want to see you AND baby!! I'm very disappointed in some of our "friends" who have still yet to meet my daughter who's over 2 months old now. Never have stopped by and I'm not going to make myself available to them baby free if they're going to act that way. So make those friends come over and hold the baby for a while when you're catching up.|||To raise happy babies, you have to be a happy parent. And if the kids are stressing you then you need a break so when you come back you are the happy parent again. Everyone needs breaks and there is Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you trust your parents enough to leave your kids there overnight, then that is wonderful and go for it. Don't feel guilty, you need time every now and then to break away and have fun and relax and sleep! Go and enjoy yourself!|||8 whole days huh? Good luck for the next 18 years! Why don't you ask them to take the two year old for a couple of hours or have them come over and watch them while you shower. As for your friends, why can't they come visit you? I think 8 days is a little soon to leave a newborn, even for a few hours not to mention a whole night. Plus your two year old may be feeling a little jealous so I don't think it'd be fair to leave her either. You have to put them first.|||I don't think many people are having much fun when dealing with an 8 day old baby...it comes with the territory. There is nothing wrong with having someone come over so you can catch a nap, shower, run errands, or get out of the house for a bit, but it seems a bit early to leave the baby for an overnight.|||I have a 6 and 4 yr old and a month. My husband is a truck driver so the only time i have had to myself is when all three r in the bed and i stay in the shower untill the water gets cold cause i know that i want get another break untill tomorrow. I also nurse so it would b hard to leave my baby with someone eles... I think it may b a little early to go with friends, but to shower and relax at home would b nice if u have someone to keep them...|||After 8 days you already want to break away?? I've had 9 years and no break, no babysitters because the children are my responsibility. Surely your partner can look after the children so you can do those things? However If your okay to let your children go for a night or 2 and your parents are willing then go for it.|||Umm I would never leave my newborn, that's me though. my son was more than 15 months old before he ever left me for the night adn it was for my 21st birthday. My son is also 8 days old and i have a 3 1/2 year old. . "I'm not having any fun,"- well get over it is what i have to say. really you need to grow up.|||I had my daughters one year and one month apart and I know where you're coming from. You are fortunate to have the help and would be a fool not to take it. You are no good to your kids stressed out and tired and feeling trapped so don't feel the need to seek approval from anyone - only you know what you're feeling and what your coping skills are at this time. Take the break -everyone needs a break! I hate how people here are so judgemental and high and mighty.|||"Love them both to pieces, but the last eight days have been full of taking care of babies with very little time for myself. I'm not having any fun, and I feel like I'm going crazy."


Welcome to parenthood! When you decide to have kids, you give up your free time. You should have thought about that before hand! It NOT about you anymore...it's about your KIDS. You should have thought about this before you CHOSE to have two kids at 19 years old.|||We've all been there. I am breastfeeding so I don't really have the option. But if you need it and your parents are willing then why not? Maybe not the whole night, maybe for 4 hours or something, just a break. You'll get more time when they are older, but your baby is still very very little. You don't need anyone's permission to have a break.|||If you need some time to unwind, go for it. Your babies will be fine for a few hours or whatever. You will be a better and more patient parent if you remember to take care of yourself too. You are only human, and we all need a break. Congrats on your new baby.|||Aww you deserve it, id do it! You have to be happy and healthy to look after your babies, it will do you the world of good! Enjoy it! x|||Welcome to Parenthood!|||Oh hun go for it! I also have a (terrible) two year old and a kinda new baby! Hes almost 6 months old now but I know where your coming from. Go, you need the break and your kids do too believe it or not. If you are stressed, tired and ready to snap then your kids pick up on that and it just makes everything worse. I left both my kids with their grandparents two weeks after each one was born. And both times it was for two nights. My husband was deploying and we wanted alone time, you do what you gotta do! I will say a prayers for you and don't forget, things will get better!|||I hate to break it to you, but the next few YEARS are going to be full of taking care of babies with very little time for yourself. That's what motherhood is. My youngest is 18 months and I am visiting some friends out of town in a few weeks and leaving the kids at home with my husband for 2 nights. That's the first time I will have ever been away from the baby overnight, or even for more than a few hours.





Motherhood isn't about "having fun". It's about caring for and nurturing your children, and keeping them happy and healthy. It's not about you. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but teen moms always wonder why some are so judgmental when young women have babies. This is why.





If this is already too hard for you at 8 days in, you are going to really struggle in a few months when the baby has more awake time.





I have to shower first thing in the morning before my husband leaves for work, or I don't get a shower. I haven't gotten a solid night's sleep since I was pregnant. Catch up with friends? I only get to do that when my kids are in tow. But my kids are happy, healthy, and know that Mommy is there for them no matter what.





Please think about the message it will be sending to your 2 year old if you take a night "off". What if he thinks that the new baby isn't worth staying at home for? If he is already biting, you dropping the kids off at your parents' house is probably not going to help the situation.|||OMG if you have that option TAKE IT!! but don't take advantage of it becaus your babys do need you but YES TAKE IT lol. i had a 1 year old when i had my newborn and it was fine. my mother in law wanted to take my baby to giveme rest and we would tell her no to take my 1yr old because she wanted to stay at grandmas but it was nice break w/just one baby around for a day or so. we didn't let her take our newborn until she was about 3 months i think. and now she loves having them sleep over but can only handle one so almost every saturday she'll take one and switch off the next saturday to have her grandma time and i would be happy if she took both but one is just fine and plus i get to bond w/ my babys and individuals and spend time w/each one that way also and so does their dad. it's nice if you have the help so take it a lot of people don't get this i know you feel guilty about it i did also in the begining hence the reason we didn't like her taking my newborn and when my 1st baby too we didn't let her stay the night over at grandma's until she was 1 yr old too lol just because we were so attached but 2 babys.. yes lol take some time before you go nuts haha. take a shower. watch tv w/out someone screaming catch up w/friends. do something for yourself. if we don't take care of ourselves how are we supposed to be good momma's :)|||As long as your parents are fine with babysitting for one night, it sounds like a great idea! Having a new baby is wonderful but is incredibly trying, difficult, and exhausting. You need a little time away to regain your sanity every once in awhile lol. My parents have watched my little man a couple times in the first month while my husband and I went off to have dinner just the two of us. If your parents are willing to babysit, consider yourself lucky! Not everyone is cool watching a newborn. Just make sure you leave them everything they'll need for the baby (bottles of breastmilk/formula, diapers, wipes, blankets, clothes, pacifiers, burp cloths, basically everything in your diaper bag).|||Needing time to yourself is just a basic human need. Yes, parenting is a big job, and with it comes the responsibility of knowing that everything's not about "you" anymore, but I'm sure with a two y/o, you know that. No, it would not be horrible. Like another poster said, to have happy kids, you need a happy parent, and if you need some time to yourself to de-stress, and take a baby free shower, or just quiet time, there is nothing wrong with you! That's what the whole idea of babysitting is for. If your parents are ok with it, then go for it! I have a 15 month old, and I've only just recently started "demanding" "me time" from my husband. I'll tell you, after I get some quality time to myself, without having to chase around a toddler, I feel so rested, so much happier, and things at home just run a lot more smoothly, because I'm not pulling my hair out!|||8 days old seems a little early to me.


my parents recently watched my daughter overnight so we could have a little break and by that time she was 7 weeks old. we weren't really comfortable with it before then.


could your parents just take the 2 year old off your hands maybe?


if you think your newborn would do alright for one night (as in, he's not fussy for you ALL the time), then it's up to you on whether you spend the night away from him.


if you're parents will have them for the night, they may as well have them through lunch too lol- as long as they are ok with it. you should catch up with your friends if your parents will keep them for you :)


it sounds like you need a break :( good luck|||Unfortunely, 8 days is far too early to introduce a bottle if you're breastfeeding. If you're formula feeding, then anyone can give the bottle and change the diaper.





Since I will hope/assume that you're breastfeeding, then look for ways of getting 'alone time' that don't take you away from your baby for more than a few hours. Have grandma come over (or go to her house) and tend your toddler while you have a long hot bath, or watch a movie, or chat on the phone with your friends. Or, where's daddy in this scenario? Can't he tend the toddler while you nap/have a bath.





I have to be blunt here ... you did chose to have two kids fairly close together, so you chose to say good-bye to significant 'alone time' for at least a couple of months more.

No comments:

Post a Comment